History of Naturism in Canada
1939 – The Van Tan Club is established in North Vancouver. This club is still active and is regarded as Canada’s oldest continuous running naturist club.
1946 – Ray Connett begins writing his column “Sunny Trails” for Sunbathing for Health Magazine. Through a series of articles, he begins to network with isolated clubs across Canada.
(click images to read)
1947 – The Canadian Sunbathing Association is established, spear-headed by Ray Connett.
1960 – The eastern and western chapters of the Canadian Sunbathing Association officially split, forming two separate groups with each adopting “East” and “West” into their respective names.
1973 – The Eastern Canadian Sunbathing Association is renamed the Canadian Nudist Confederation.
1977 – The Fédération québécoise de naturisme (FQN) is founded by Michel Vaïs.
1978 – The Canadian Nudist Confederation is dissolved.
1981 – The Wreck Beach Committee formally becomes the Wreck Beach Preservation Society.
1984 – Three members of Glen Echo, Petra Scheller and Doug and Helen Beckett, begin discussions to establish a new national organization, which will eventually become the Federation of Canadian Naturists (FCN). To read a history of the FCN, click here.
1986 – The Federation of Canadian Naturists is formally incorporated in March. The first issue of its newsletter “Going Natural” is released. The first annual general meeting is held at Glen Echo Park in August.
1987 – The FCN collaborates with the FQN to produce its first formal publication “Canadian Guide to Nudist Clubs and Beaches”.
1988 – The FCN and the FQN form a liaison to jointly represent Canada at the International Naturist Federation (INF).
1991 – Wreck Beach, which had been an unofficial nude-use area since the 1920’s, receives formal consent from the Greater Vancouver Regional District to become Canada’s first legally sanctioned clothing optional beach.
1995 – The FCN launches its first web site.
1996 – The FCN organizes its first annual Naturist Festival at the Four Seasons Nature Park.
1999 – Toronto City Council approves Hanlan’s Point as Ontario’s first sanctioned nude beach.
2000 – The FCN establishes its first office and library at Glen Echo Park. This would later be relocated to Bare Oaks Family Naturist Park after Glen Echo closes in 2009.
Admiring the FCN logo on the office trailer. from left to right: Doug Becket, Jim Hodder, Malcolm Scott, Marc, Linda and Stéphane Deschênes, Helen Beckett
2012 – The FCN launches its Facebook page and later, its Twitter account, @FCNaturists.